Legal Love™ with Lisa Fraley
The laws around what health professionals can and can’t do can be complex. Strictly following regulations is important to avoid legal issues, but the rules are also constantly evolving, which can be a little exhausting.
Today’s guest, Lisa Fraley, takes a unique approach to navigating the legal landscape of health coaching. She calls her method legal love — blending her expertise in healthcare law with coaching care and support.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Options for psychiatrists/psychologists who want to build their business online but are afraid to hire anyone due to HIPAA requirements
- The difference between functional medicine and functional wellness coaching
- If a doctor wants to start an online business, should it be separate from their clinical practice
- Can a doctor hire a health coach from another state
- Story of a doctor who was investigated by the medical board in Colorado for practicing medicine without a license
- Ways for doctors to hire health coaches to work with people while staying compliant
- Lab testing laws
- Tips for doctors to structure their online health coaching business
Lisa Fraley, JD is an Attorney, Legal Coach®, and Holistic Lawyer®. She takes a holistic approach to law and business by blending her expertise as a former health care attorney in a large corporate law firm with the care and support as a Health & Life Coach. Her goal is to make law easy to understand, accessible and affordable, with lots of “Legal Love™”.
With a Certificate in Sustainable Business Strategy from Harvard Business School Online, she’s the author ofEasy Legal Steps…That Are Also Good for Your Soul, a #1 Amazon best seller in both Corporate Law and Ethics, and the host of the ”Legally Enlightened Podcast” on iTunes which offers bite-sized, digestible legal tips in 20-minutes or less.
Lisa has spoken on international stages from the Bellagio to British Columbia including for Jonathan Fields, National Association of Nutrition Professionals, Functional Diagnostic Nutrition, Maryland University of Integrative Health, World Conference on Food Science & Technology in Rome, Italy (upcoming), JJ Virgin’s Mindshare Leadership Summit (upcoming), and Maine Women’s Network.
For her expertise, she has been a legal expert on over 300 podcasts and interviews, including mindbodygreen.com, “Entrepreneur on Fire” hosted by Jon Lee Dumas, Health Coach Institute, Integrative Women’s Health Institute, Chris Kresser, Dr. Tom O’Bryan, Functional Diagnostic Nutrition, Functional Nutrition Coaching Academy, True Detox, Institute of Nutrition & Fitness Sciences, Dr. Stephen Cabral, Russ Ruffino, Primal Health Coach Podcast, Practice Better, The Health Coach Group, The Limitless MD Podcast, Doctors Unbound Podcast, Wellpreneur Podcast, That Clean Life, The Wellness Business Podcast, National Association of Counselors in Private Practice, Dietitians in Business & Communications, The Flourishing Center, Dieticians in Private Practice, Entrepreneur Now Podcast, In Her Voice Podcast, Simplero, Shining Mentor Magazine, Australia’s YMag, and “Good Day Maine” (WGME-13 Portland).
- “If a doctor wants to become a health coach, they need to get trained as a health coach and become a health coach.”
- “Lab testing laws are state-specific, just like nutrition laws.”
- “There are so many ways you can do both medicine and coaching; you just have to set it up properly.”